[aur-dev] OpenSearch Description

Cilyan Olowen gaknar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 11:55:04 EST 2011

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time that I wanted to do an OpenSearch shortcut to
the AUR. I do an extensive use of search engines and keywords in my
daily navigation and I was really missing one for AUR. So I wrote one,
that was not so complex. :)
I tested it using Firefox 3.6, so please test it a little bit more.
To include the search engine in a web page for auto discovery, the
HTML <head/> element should include a "profile" attribute that
contains the value "http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/", and a
<link/> tag such as
<link rel="search"
        type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"
        href="http://path/to/aur-osd.xml"
        title="AUR Packages" />
(href must contain a complete uri, relative path doesn't seem to be supported)

I set up a page so you can test it:
http://www.cilyan.org/aurosd/aur-osd-link.html

Once an appropriate keyword is set up in Ff "Manage search engines",
finding a package on AUR is now as simple as typing "aur <package>" in
the address bar!

Best regards,

Cilyan