[aur-dev] AUR bad package moderation queue

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:25:11 EDT 2011

We now have 29998 packages and counting in the AUR, of which 8122 have
never been updated since initial upload, and I would guess another
8000 are also steaming piles of...something.

My suggestion is a moderation deletion/cleanup queue that is visible
only to Trusted Users to prevent the public from seeing it as a
numbers game, and to prevent abuse. It would work as follows:

1. Package pages get a "Flag as Sh*t" (or equivalent) button,
available to all logged in users. Perhaps there is a "reason" box.
2. Users start flagging packages. Whether a package has been flagged
or not is not visible to anyone except TUs.
3. These flaggings are tracked and a TU moderation page is available
for perusal. Heading the list are packages that got the most bad votes
in descending order. Next might be those packages that have never been
updated.
4. TUs can then review, on their own time, these bad packages. From
there, they can do one of three things: a) delete it on the spot, b)
comment and suggest improvements and delay the decision, or c) mark
the package as non-sh*t, which will prevent the package from being
flagged again for a 3-6 month span.

Thoughts? The only goal here is to make the AUR more usable and not
have to wade through old/outdated/less than well built packages.

-Dan