[aur-dev] Internal server error while searching for "es"

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:45:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Tuxce <tuxce.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, as yaourt maintainer, I received a bug ticket about yaourt giving
> an error while searching for "es" on AUR. It seems that searching for
> "es" with rpc (and maybe only "es") returns an internal server error.
> http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=search&arg=es
>
> But I cannot reproduce it on a local installed aur (even at version
> 1.8.2).
>
> If it's better to open a task on the bugtracker, just let me know.

'as' breaks it as well. Best guess is the result set is simply too
large and we hit PHP memory limits. See the following, which is
similar to the query that is being ran. The 'is' query works as the
scales tip somewhere between those result counts.

Is there a reason to ever return more than 5000 results? Your query
really sucks if you are getting that many hits.

-Dan

mysql> select count(*) from Packages where Name like '%es%' or
Description like '%es%';
11040
mysql> select count(*) from Packages where Name like '%as%' or
Description like '%as%';
8107
mysql> select count(*) from Packages where Name like '%is%' or
Description like '%is%';
6382