[aur-dev] AUR 2.1.0 released

kachelaqa kachelaqa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:40:38 EDT 2013

On 18/03/13 22:04, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:25:42PM +0000, kachelaqa wrote:
>> I think I was thrown by the word "overwrite", which seems to suggest
>> providing alternative values to the ones in the PKGBUILD - whereas
>> the real purpose is to simply offer a "preferred" source for the
>> same values (i.e. one which is easier to parse).
>
> It is used as an alternate source if you specify all fields. The idea is
> that you can overwrite fields that the AUR PKGBUILD parser fails to
> parse without having to update other fields like the package version on
> every update. This might be changed in the future.

Right - "overwriting" does make sense in the context of correcting
parsing failures.

>> The restriction on the available fields also seemed a little
>> puzzling to me - but I suppose package maintainers are free to
>> include whatever fields they like (as long as they follow the
>> general file format).
>
> Which ones are missing? I don't think that the AUR uses any other
> fields.

The metadata in .AURINFO files could be used by any third-party tools
that want to avoid parsing the PKGBUILD, and those tools may want access
to a wider set of fields (e.g. arch, optdepends, makedepends, etc).

Presumably, if makepkg ever implements .SRCINFO generation, it will
include more fields than the AUR currently needs.

>> Will the inclusion of an .AURINFO file be a requirement at some
>> stage in the future?
>
> This might become a requirement if it is implemented in makepkg or some
> other tool that auto-generates such files. It is just an experimental
> feature for now.

Okay, thanks.