[aur-dev] AUR Android app

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 12:41:31 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:20:57PM +0000, Pedro Veloso wrote:
>> My name is Pedro Veloso and I'm an Android developer for more than 3 years
>> now.
>>
>> I would like to contribute to Arch by making an application that could
>> provide the user with functionality for searching packages, seeing their
>> details and dependencies etc. All of this in a convenient way trough a
>> native Android application. This application would be of course Apache
>> licensed (or similar one, point being I intent to open-source the whole
>> thing from the beginning).
>>
>> For this to work I would need a working API on the server side, I did a
>> brief search and I found some work is already underway in that sense (
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_2) where there seems to be a
>> discussion on doing a REST API with OAuth authentication (which is great
>> because I've worked with both standards in several projects as well).
>> However I did not find what the current progress is on this, so that's what
>> I intend to find out sending this email to the aur-dev mailing list.
>
> That project is dead. There is a RPC interface that might do what you
> want [1]. It currently can't be used to list dependencies, though.

And to get dependencies, you can do:

(a) steal it from the AUR website (web scraping), which often produces
garbage when the PKGBUILD author does advanced stuff[0], or
(b) download the PKGBUILD and write a bash parser that is guaranteed
to suck even more.

[0]: example of the worst AURweb performance:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pkgbuilder/

BTW, I will release version 0.1.0 of my Qt app with a similar purpose,
aurqt.  http://github.com/Kwpolska/aurqt for the unfinished version.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post