[aur-dev] Git repos for AUR packages

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Thu Jan 9 14:48:47 EST 2014

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 at 12:10:27, Techlive Zheng wrote:
> [...]
> > I don't think we should support `git-push` at all, the reasons are
> > simple:
> >
> > * Git allows overwriting the history by doing a force push `git push -f`.
> >   As a community PKGBUILD publishing platform, the git history of a PKGBUILD
> >   should not be allowed to be tampered with, whether accidently or
> >   intentionally, it should reflect how the PKGBUILD envloved from the start,
> >   not the one someone carefully crafted.
> >
> > * Changed history will cause conflit on `git pull`, which is not something we
> >   want to deal with everyday.

You can reject non-fast-forwards by enabling receive.denyNonFastforwards
on the server.

> > Instead, we should stick on the `src.tar.gz` tarball submitting, and make the
> > Git commit on the server.
> >
> > At least, push access should not be granted to normal user, only to TUs.

Why? I agree that keeping the tarball submission form and doing Git
commits on the server is a nice first step but providing Git push access
is much more convenient...

> Also, if we allow normal user to push directly with Git, it will be
> harder to do sanity check. One can push anything, not just the packaging
> files, but anything, binaries, compressed source/build tarballs, even
> files unrelated to Arch packaging at all. These malformed files can
> exist not only in the Git HEAD, but can be intentionally hided in the
> history, makes it hard to control the space quotas.

I guess this could be done in a pre-receive hook. We also need to
perform these checks when committing tarball contents -- I don't think
it will be much harder to do it inside a Git hook.