[aur-dev] Git repositories for AUR packages

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Wed Jun 4 16:36:27 EDT 2014

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 at 22:16:40, William Giokas wrote:
> [...]
> I am very much for this (and [1] is one of my mails from more than a year
> ago). I would recommend working with gitolite so that we can keep as
> much of the code we need maintained upstream, as gitolite has already
> proven its security and its efficiency. Also, it may allow other users
> to use gitolite with database backends like the AUR without using the
> AUR itself.

That was our initial plan but after some investigation it turned out
that using gitolite might be much more complicated and inefficient than
writing a simple authorization script from scratch: We would need to
keep the gitolite and the AUR database in sync etc.

See [1] for an initial implementation of a ~50 lines Python script that
does all the work.

> [...]
> This would force users to change their upstream URLs based on
> maintainership, which changes quite a lot on the AUR, but this is
> something that was probably already thought of. I'd suspect that we
> would still have to do something like
>
>   git://.../pa/package
>
> but there may be a way around that, even.

I don't think we need to do this since the server has been upgraded to
use ext4 iirc.

> > If there are any questions or suggestions regarding this setup, please
> > feel free to ask/reply.
>
> I think this is an amazing idea, and I have some good plans for things
> like pre-commit hooks for local repos that will auto-generate the
> .AURINFO file for users without them even having to worry about that.

Great idea!

[1] http://git.cryptocrack.de/aur.git/log/?h=git-integration