[aur-dev] lib32-gtk3 block and no AUR User Guidelines presidence

Curtis Lee Bolin CurtisLeeBolin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:09:41 UTC 2015

The maintainer of lib32-gtk3, alucryd, recently updated the version to
3.16.1 although it's dependencies are in testing.  So now anyone
wanting to install something depending on lib32-gtk3 would now be
forced to enable the testing repository.

In alucryd's comments with another user he seems to be under the
impression all users already have lib32-gtk3 installed, and he isn't
forcing anyone to update.  He is forgetting all of the people that are
installing something for the first time that depends on lib32-gtk.
They are completely blocked without adding the testing repository.

I reviewed the AUR User Guidelines and can find nothing to prevent
this type of lapse in logic.  This isn't the first time I have seen
this issue.  Since there isn't a separate testing AUR, can something
be added to the AUR User Guidelines maybe stating packages that
require the testing repository must have "-testing" added to the name
or whatever would best resolve this problem.

Thank You For Your Time,
Curtis Lee Bolin