[aur-dev] AUR 4 and licensing

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 12 14:25:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 at 01:47:10, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
> [...]
> To mitigate this I’d propose making a ToS for the AUR that for one says
> that the user agrees to either license the PKGBUILD and accompanying
> scripts under a specific license, or that they agree to assign copyright
> to Arch Linux.
>
> While it wouldn’t be possible to apply it to the packages already
> upload, I’d suggest implementing this change during the migration to AUR
> 4.0.0 when the official AUR will be started afresh, causing all newly
> uploaded packages to fall under the ToS.
> [...]

I like this idea. GPL3 is probably the best choice, given that we
already use the GPL for most projects.

Since we are not going to remove any accounts when moving to AUR 4.0.0,
I suggest showing the ToS when registering and when logging into the AUR
for the first time (unless they were already accepted previously).