[aur-dev] AUR 4 and licensing

Sam Stuewe halosghost at archlinux.info
Tue Apr 14 13:35:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 08:47:12PM -0400, Loui Chang wrote:
> If the PKGBUILD is trivial can you reasonably defend a license?

This. Licensing depends on Copyright, so it requires a creative effort
to be made. PKGBUILDs, on the other hand, are mostly generic repetitions
with some small changes to deal with edgecases.

Personally, I think it would be much simpler to just declare all
PKGBUILDs and .install scripts uploaded to the AUR to be Public Domain
and leave it at that. But, that may just be my own opinion.

All the best,

-Sam