[aur-dev] What should AURv4 helpers do to get packages?

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 9 14:58:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 at 16:52:52, Chris Warrick wrote:
> Hello,
> In AURv4, URLPath was removed due to the introduction of Git
> integration, which raises the question: what is the recommended way
> for AUR helpers to get packages?  Should they:
>
> (a) manually generate a clone URL (/PKGBASE.git/) and clone it?

Yes, please clone using Git and use `git pull` (or `git fetch`) for
updates. Alternatively, if you don't care about the package base
history, create a shallow clone with "--depth 1".

> (b) manually generate a tarball URL
> (/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/PKGBASE.tar.gz) and download it?

Please don't do that. The snapshot tarballs are only designed for users
who don't have access to a working Git setup.

> (c) do something else entirely?
>
> In other words: could you please add a RPC field with a “recommended”
> URL to work with?

I could do that. Note that I don't see a good reason for ever changing
the clone URIs though (unless we switch to a completely different system
again), so I am not sure whether such a field is needed.