[aur-dev] Absence of terminating newline in RPC requests

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Sat Oct 1 09:21:22 UTC 2016

On 01/10, Alad Wenter wrote:
>True, I haven't had issues with json tools regarding a (lack of)
>terminating newlines. Some tools like jshon do have an issue with
>several requests pasted together, unless you insert some commas. In
>that sense I wondered on how the RPC terminates its output, and how it
>may do so in the future.
>
>Of course, if/when we get POST requests [1], you no longer have to
>think on merging JSON. :)

Mmmm.  It's very common for JSON libraries, see eg. Jansson, to not add
a newline because it's easier for the consumer to add one if necessary
than it is to reliably remove one.  I wouldn't personally mind having it
add one, but at the same time I don't see much of a reason to implement
it either.  On a related note, it would be nice to rewrite the RPC,
because it's a bit weird code.

--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg