Django-hosted aurweb Proposal

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 17 02:08:55 UTC 2019

On 2/16/19 8:28 PM, Robin Broda wrote:
> On 2/17/19 2:21 AM, Kevin Morris wrote:
>> The major differences between maintaining a PHP vs Django server would be
>> that the Django server would be:
>>
>>    2.
>>
>>    Developed via Python, which has vastly more support and familiarity than
>>    PHP within the community.
>>
>>    6.
>>
>>    Everybody loves Python; there will most likely be many more code-base
>>    contributions in Python than in PHP.
>>

> This appears like the same point to me.
> I feel like you're selling this idea really hard on the premise that python == better
> instead of the hard data points that would favor a django app

Maybe it's the same point, but I'm sold anyway. ;)

For context: this django proposal was discussed on IRC a bit, and I want
it just because it would make it easier to work on aurweb. Going one
step further, ISTR some discussion in the past that we'd like to move to
python anyway.

As for hard data points:

The AUR4 git-shell backend, notify scripts, and cron jobs which are used
for taking care of the git repositories, maintaining the blacklists,
etc. were initially implemented in python as mostly standalone from the
web frontend that has existed since 2004.

So in practice, using django means we could share code between the
backend and frontend, which is particularly interesting to me given the
recent case of
https://git.archlinux.org/aurweb.git/commit/?id=f1d109e9b6863d924d2cb20f83e41d7091d62e20

On a personal level, I find the idiosyncrasies of php to be less
intuitive than the idiosyncrasies of python, and probably to blame for
this:
https://git.archlinux.org/aurweb.git/commit/?id=ac29097ce8585b99ebe7c5d9570b0567236d45f3
(why is ".=" used for appending instead of "+=" anyway? That thing is
way too invisible.)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User