Django-hosted aurweb Proposal

Kevin Morris kevr.gtalk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 05:14:20 UTC 2019

Thank you for the extra CC, that was perfect timing :).

To address Foxboron, I would choose Django as a framework purely so that we
could integrate it into the same wsgi engine that archweb uses on the
current servers and have it work seamlessly. But additionally, Django
provides a good baked in user model which we would otherwise have to either
implement or use an existing user framework for Flask/SQLAlchemy? I believe
that Django is more rigorous in it's approach to handling routes and would
require less developer effort to add, modify, or remove features. It is
heavier, but I believe that it is more stable when used correctly. Django
also provides many automatic handling of sessions (redirection to login,
automatic error responses, ...) and it's rest_framework extension is just
as simple and robust as anything else.

I'm a bit confused. You wrote one patch and you want to rewrite the whole
> thing
> now? I've seen this at least three times before with more or less fully
> developed rewrites. They all failed. They were all written in Python
> coincidentally.

No. The patch was merely something that I wanted to help resolve before
presenting any kind of proposal like this. It was brought up as an
outstanding issue or possible patch to finish up for the RPC protocol. I
only wanted to help finish the patch to help out (and I also thought
provides would be quite useful).

Additionally, I would like to apologize for the fact that the proposal is
not as well written as it could be.

--
Kevin Morris
Software Developer

Business Inquiries: kevr at coderesistance.com
Personal Inquiries: kevr.gtalk at gmail.com
Personal Phone: (415) 571-0513

Technologies: C++, Python, Django, Ruby, Rails, ReactJS, jQuery,
Javascript, SQL, Redux