[PATCH] Proof-of-concept of a dual PHP–Python stack

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 15 13:50:39 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 14:16 +0100, Frédéric Mangano-Tarumi wrote:
> > It might make sense to only switch over once the port has been
> > completed.
> I strongly recommend against that.
> First, not deploying the Python backend implies we keep developing the
> PHP stack too, which in turn means we either need to stop developing
> new features, or develop them twice.

Not really, we just put it in maintenance mode -- no more features just

> Second, deploying a wholly different codebase at once is dreadful for an
> actively used website. All the bugs introduced by the rewrite would pop
> up simultaneously. This is all the more risky if we decide to adjust
> features as we rewrite them. Debugging may also become harder if we
> can’t narrow down the commits based on the date the bug appeared. By the
> way, I think we should for that reason accelerate the release cycle when
> we start porting code.

We can deploy it to aur-dev.archlinux.org and have users test it before
we deploy it to the real website.

The reason I don't want to deploy it to the real installation right
away is mainly because we are changing the database structure. The plan
is to move to SQLAlchemy (you already have a patch for this) and then
start implementing the Flask app. If we mess something up in the
database backend and it does not become apparent at me moment, we are
screwing up the production database.

Filipe Laíns
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/attachments/20200315/24e9327c/attachment.sig>

More information about the aur-dev mailing list