Can a new release of aurweb be published?

Kevin Morris kevr at 0cost.org
Tue Jul 20 20:40:48 UTC 2021

Hello Hunter,

I'd like to fill you in on some development details of aurweb
that may come in particularly useful for you to know, especially
since you are developing a fork of it.

The `live` branch and the `master` branch are diverged a bit.
The aurweb project has decided in the past to use `live` as its
production branch, and things are carefully cherry-picked in there
from `master` when we need to apply a fix that resides in master.

That being said, `master` also now contains commits that are not
in live.

Now, as far as a release goes to sync up master and live together:

We are in the process of porting aurweb's PHP implementation over to
Python/FastAPI, of which commits reside in the `pu` branch of aurweb.
As far as `live` currently goes; we are not planning to be making any
changes to live as it stands unless a bug is addressed in there
or we're moving onto a new release version (which typically involves
changes in our implementation or bugfixesi in master).

Now, there was discussion had about possibly releasing a version bump
because we've got some fixes in master now that fix some issues in the
5.0.0 release. We could definitely put a new release together with current
`master`, but the relationship between `master` and `live` will remain.

So, as you develop, please do not depend on aur.archlinux.org to be
the production state of the `master` branch. Instead, host an instance
of yours locally and check things in there.

All that being said; please do keep in mind that we are most likely
going to be major version bumping the project when the Python/FastAPI
port is complete, and that is going to change the entire codebase in
`master`, aside from some Python scripts that we don't need to modify.

Is there a location of the "MPR" source I can look through? I'd like
to check out how you're modeling your code off of what's in aurweb
so I can help better.

Regards,
Kevin

--