[aur-general] Sponsoring Timm Preetz for TU

Timm Preetz timm at preetz.us
Sat Dec 8 12:29:36 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 16:20 +0100, Bjørn Lindeijer wrote:
> A few days ago, Timm Preetz (known as gummibaerchen on the AUR and
> forums) let me know that he was interested in becoming a TU to help
> keeping packages up to date as well as maintaining his current AUR
> packages to community.

Hello,

as Bjørn already said, I applied as a TU as I (kind of) 'enjoy'
packaging and want to give something back to the Arch community.

The packages I currently maintain in the AUR are all packages that I use
myself and therefore can guarantee that they work fine and have no
distro specific bugs or anything like that.

But even though I actually only maintain packages I use myself, I would
of course take over packages for maintenance if needed (but personally I
think it is best if the maintainer is actually also a (extensive) user
of the package him/herself, so that their is upstream contact and we can
provide the best quality possible).

Also packaging is not just about writing PKGBUILDs and doing pkgver++
once in a time, but I also like the communication with the community,
giving something back and the contact and work with the upstream
maintainers that is needed sometimes.

My main areas for PKGBUILDs are GNOME-software and doc-packages. I think
in general it's reasonable that Arch strips the /docs, but sometimes I
need the doc packages right here. Also all the doc-packages I have ship
with TOCs for devhelp so that they're easily integrated in your GNOME
development environment.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,
Timm