[aur-general] Should I bring rpm/dkpg to community

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:00:02 EDT 2008

Allan McRae wrote:

>> I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in
>> [community].  They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so
>> people obviously find them useful.  Does anyone have objections about
>> their "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)?  It is what has
>> stopped me moving dpkg so far...
>>

> Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...
>
> I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
> package, all the tools are in extra/community already.  These packages
> would make it slightly easier to install them but also give the
> ability to create these package formats which is why I grabbed dpkg in
> the first place.

Thanks for all the comments.  I will _NOT_ be moving these to community.
I had never actually considered moving dpkg to community until I
received a couple of emails from users asking me to do so.  As I said in
my first email, I thought they were "unArchlike" (another real word!)

As an aside, the argument that it can screw up a users system is not a
great one.  I've seen rm ruin a system but we still keep coreutils...  :D

Allan