[aur-general] Should I bring rpm/dkpg to community

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:37:59 EDT 2008

On Sun 2008-04-06 16:23 , RedShift wrote:
> Neil Darlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...
>>
>> Perhaps pragmatic would be a better assessment.
>>
>>> I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
>>> package, all the tools are in extra/community already.
>>
>> But while they're not in Community, they are labelled Unsupported. I'm
>> just thinking of the potential for breakage that can occur when people
>> start mixing packages from foreign distributions with those of Arch and
>> start complaining when it doesn't work.
>
> Since when do we assume the user is dumb?

If the user is not dumb, he can convert the rpm/deb/whatever in an Arch package
(compiling the software or using rpm2targz and the like): in this way pacman can
handle it. Seriously, I think that having stuff like dpkg in a (semi)official
repo could bring the user to think that we support deb packages.

We don't have in [community] software that install packages from the AUR for the
very same reason: we don't support them.

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB