[aur-general] Should I bring rpm/dkpg to community

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:10:28 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi TU's,
>
>  I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in
> [community].  They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so people
> obviously find them useful.  Does anyone have objections about their
> "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)?  It is what has stopped me moving
> dpkg so far...

The main reason for not doing this is that it will collide with pacman
package management in more ways than one - the clearest is that
dependencies will not always be the right version, and installing a
deb on your machine may not work. What do you think happens to all the
debs someone installed the next time openssl is upgraded?