[aur-general] community back-end rewrite

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 00:14:37 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 11:35:18AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  In the TU meetings there was some discussion about doing a
>  rewrite/update/fix-up of the [community] back-end.  I am not sure who all is
>  looking at this and what the plans are - hence this email.
>
>  Can people who are looking at this or interested in looking at this give a
>  ping back to this message with whatever plans you have or work you have
>  already done.
>
>  Things I want to flag:
>  - we should get a git repo for a community-backend project on the arch
>  server and separate this from the aur site code. - we should switch SCM
>  tools from CVS.  I am strongly in favour of using the same system as the
>  main repos which would allow much code reuse and easily get us a testing
>  repo for community packages. (No more big rebuild issues!).

I'm involved with AUR development and have recently studied and begin to
understand the tupkg code. Some improvements based on that activity will
be put into action soon. I'll continue to help maintain AUR until I feel it
has reached a certain point of efficiency and effectiveness where it no
longer needs major maintenance.

My plan from there is to start design and development on a new system
that can be used for repo maintenance in AUR as well as any other
package repo project, like arch-games, or even maybe official repos.

These were actually some of my main goals in becoming a TU.

I don't there is any benefit from putting tupkg code in a different repo
than the AUR web interface. They are tied together by the DB and
separating them may cause disjointed development and other problems.

However we could organise the source tree and document how the system
works a little better.

Cheers!