[aur-general] Official discussion period - Rules governing packages entering [community]

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:38:08 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> * Only "popular" packages may enter the repo, as defined by 1% usage from
> pkgstats or 10 votes on the AUR.

I remain neutral on this debate, however I'd like to make a point to
anyone using the 'but many users don't vote' argument.

If we are to offer a voting system and expect the community to use it,
then there must be a consequence for those packages that do not
receive adequate votes. Otherwise, we are essentially telling the
users, "votes don't matter, so don't bother voting."  I believe that
enforcing this will motivate users to take a more active role in the
promotion of packages to community.