[aur-general] Proposed rules for packages entering [community]

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:10:53 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:52 AM, bardo <ilbardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Kristoffer Fossgård <kfs1 at online.no> wrote:
>> Your all missing my point. I never said counting packages by
>> downloadrate is a perfect solution but that IT IS GOOD ENOUGH _and_
>> BETTER THAN THE VOTE SYSTEM.
>
> That's what I thought. Even monitoring a single download mirror could
> be enough, if it's not an obscure and unpopular one. At least gathered
> data would be statistically *relevant*, even though not accurate. We
> can think of a single mirror as a good approximation of the whole
> community, excluding i18n/l10n packages, which are highly dependendt
> on the physical location of the mirror itself.

Guys. I have to point out a flaw in this reasoning. We are talking
about packages _entering_ community. Not remaining there. For packages
not in community, there is no download except from the AUR website. We
*could* in theory, track this, but there's 3 or 4 different ways one
can download things from the AUR

Again, just downloading a package does not mean I like it or use it.
As someone previously stated: if you tell me you've never installed a
packaged, tried it, and removed it because you didn't like it, you're
probably lying.