[aur-general] Donations and upgrades

kludge drkludge at rat-patrol.org
Thu Dec 4 14:44:45 EST 2008

Bob Finch wrote;
> IF you are not set up to accept money without paying taxes, then YES you
> SHOULD fix that immediately. And I mean next week. I can think of NO
> GOOD reason for you to be paying taxes on funds donated for such an
> endeavor. NONE. Tell me where you live, and I will help you find a good
> lawyer that does this. It should not cost much at all.

speaking from experience, setting up a tax-exempt org is no minor
undertaking.  in fact, it's a down-right p.i.t.a.  it's not a bad idea,
but it takes a lot of work and more than few hours with a lawyer.  it
entails organization by-laws, a board of directors, and keeping books.

a better option might be to seek project status with a "fiscal sponsor."
 that's an already-established tax exempt non-profit that technically
keeps yr books for you.


More information about the aur-general mailing list