[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 23 00:03:19 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>>> I've been thinking of this as well. It would require some design
>>> effort from the server side though, but wouldn't be too hard. Do we
>>> need full shell accounts for these users?
>>>
>>> yes: Can be done in a minimal amount of time with very little changes
>>> to the dbscripts. Management headache with regard to TUs vote new
>>> people in periodically.
>>>

>> yes: People can stage their rebuilds.
>>

>>> no: Would require a restricted sftp process, or some daemon for file
>>> upload. Less management hassle, more code writing.
>>>

>> no: keeps updating packages the same as now (upload and forget).  No manual
>> db-script running.
>>

>> For TUs who want to know how the main repo update procedure works, see
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:HOWTO_Be_A_Packager .  The
>> main difference to current [community] updating is that packages are
>> uploaded to a staging area which requires you to run and extra script to
>> actually push them to the repos.
>>
>> If we are going to have a testing repo for community (which I think is
>> overdue and this change would make easy to implement), I think TUs will need
>> full shell access in order to move the packages from the testing repo to the
>> main one.
>>

> Quick aside: Do we need ANOTHER testing repo for community, or could
> we use the same one?

Decision pending...  I have alway thought the switch to SVN would easily
allow a testing repo for community.  But that was when I was thinking
that community repo would still be entirely separate.  If the repos are
going to be all in the same place, there is little point creating
another repo.

Allan