[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 02:43:57 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Callan Barrett <wizzomafizzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Abhishek Dasgupta <abhidg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/12/23 Eric Bélanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:
>>> I was thinking the same thing. If we merge extra and community, we'll need
>>> to set permissions on a package-by-package basis instead of a repo-by-repo
>>> basis. Better keep them separate.
>>>

>> Either way, if it is decided that community should move to the devtools
>> backend, how hard would it be to decouple the AUR from community?
>>
>> --
>> Abhishek
>>

> No too hard, there's no issue with that. You would basically stop the
> daemon running that adds packages to the database and clear out
> anything currently in community. There's not a whole lot of community
> specific code in the AUR.

Additionally, the AUR is going to need to be able to import or use
info from the main package DBs in this case. This gives us a lot of
advantages, but forces us to couple some things. Unless, of course,
you wanted to go the route the main site went: parse a db.tar.gz file
and put the data into the DBs.