[aur-general] the future of empathy, libtelepathy..

Timm Preetz timm at preetz.us
Wed Dec 31 09:58:56 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 15:42 +0100, Jan de Groot wrote:
> The reason why Empathy is still in testing and unmaintained is because
> took it to testing when GNOME 2.24 was released. After GNOME moved to
> extra, I didn't move empathy because I'm not happy with the current
> state of the telepathy stack on archlinux.
> I don't have any interest in this package as I'm a happy pidgin user.
> If
> a TU wants to maintain empathy in community together with the
> telepathy
> stack that is required to use empathy, I'm happy to move it back.

That's kind of the problem.

I have been using telepathy together with Bjørn (former TU) for a long
time, but even until now, it's not very useful.

Except for XMPP I have to use Pidgin for all other protocols, and
empathy as a frontend still lacks the major features (administrative
XMPP stuff for example), so I have to use even other clients for that
(Gajim, Psi).

In the end, except for some nicer UI, Telepathy/Empathy is nowhere close
to Pidgin or (if you only use one chat-service) special clients like
Gajim for example.

So following "one program for one task" I would decide for Pidgin as the
main GNOME chat program instead of Empathy (for now).