[aur-general] license issues with google-earth in [community]?

w9ya at qrparci.net w9ya at qrparci.net
Mon Feb 18 12:37:03 EST 2008

> Am Montag, 18. Februar 2008 12:14:27 schrieb Ronald van Haren:
>> Untagged it for both i686 and x86_64.
>>
>> Bfinch can you move it back to unsupported ?
>
> Don't get me wrong but please take this advice: If you add software to
>  [community] please read the License if it is not a common one like
> GPL.
>
> --
> archlinux.de

Hey all;

Well I have EXACTLY two emails in my in box over the past 48 hours since
I adopted google-earth, and both of those in the last day. Apparently I
am NOT subscribed to one of the email lists that this was discussed on,
so alas, I could NOT respond or have any knowledge of any such
discussions. I also do NOT have any private emails from anyone on this
subject either over the past two days. I was specifically NOT ignoring
anyone, including Ronald, but rather I had no idea of what was being
discussed.

AND this package was removed *altogether* but NOT by me, and certainly
before I could have responded. <- That is perfectly fine with me. Under
the circumstances I fully agree. I would *also* be happy to replace it
in unsupported, as apparently it has been determined to NOT have it in
any repo.

Finally, while I *did* read the license, it was not until I read some of
the scuttlebutt on the internet that I appreciated all of the issues folks
seem to have with Google's licensing. The license is, in simple language,
exceptionally poorly written and subject to an incredible range of legal
interpretation. <- This ALONE is a good enough reason for me to agree that
it does not belong in ANY repo associated with Arch.

SO, *if* you guys want I can replace it into unsupported alongside the
existing bin32 package that currently resides there. Please advise me
accordingly.

Thanks in advance for letting me know *if* this program is wanted in
unsupported.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch

P.S.... Will it be possible to retain or reinstate the 250-odd votes this
package received ?; as it is now NOT extent in either unsupported OR the
community repo, and it would be nice to be able to properly reflect the
voting.