[aur-general] Problem on installing yaourt with pacman

Sebastian Nowicki xilonmu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 06:28:58 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:19:18PM +0100, Bjørn Lindeijer wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>  repo on /etc/pacman.conf
>>>  #[archlinuxfr]
>>>  Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/x86_64
>>
>> Could you help me understand why you did it this way? Personally, I am
>> used to the INI config format, which uses [headers] as sections in the
>> config files, so it is straightforward to me, but supposedly people do
>> this way too much. I'd like to understand why the section header seems
>> more like a comment.
>
> Uhm, as I understand it, it looks like a comment because it IS a comment.
> That's why Eric told him to get rid of the #.
>
> I'd say it used to be commented out together with the Server thingy, but
> wasn't uncommented properly when Stephen wanted to use the repo.
>
> Bjørn

I think Aaron was talking about how people seems to think that
the section headings are unimportant and serve as some sort of comment.
This results in a lot of problems with servers "not working", because
pacman pics up the first server (from the "previous" heading) and
succeeds at getting a list.

I'm not sure why people seem to ignore it. I was familiar with ini
before I even came to Linux so it was obvious to me. Perhaps people
think that pacman just scans all the "Server" addresses, and the
headings are unecessary.