[aur-general] State of community64

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Fri Jan 4 05:56:36 EST 2008

Eric Belanger a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I would to bring to your attention the current state of the x86_64
> community repo. There are currently over 100 x86_64 packages
> out-of-date compared to the i686 ones
> (http://dev.archlinux.org/~andyrtr/pkg_diff.html) . Out of curiosity,
> how many TUs with a x86_64 machine are active? More precisely, are you
> checking the package diff list on a more or less daily basis to keep
> the two repo in sync? I have the impression that I was pretty much the
> only one doing that in the last few months.
>
> To help keeping the x86_64 repo in sync, I would recommend any TU
> without an x86_64 machine to ask Aaron for access on his x86_64 build
> machine. I'm not sure to what degree the packages can be tested on the
> build machine but several devs and TU are already using it.
> Nonetheless, if the build machine would be used, at the very least,
> for arch-independent packages (e.g. i18n, docs pkg), perl and python
> modules and non-critical packages (e.g. games, xfce-svn plugin, etc)
> that would reduce the workload for the x86_64 TUs.
>
> I don't mind helping out with the occasional x86_64 build or with
> problems/bugs only on x86_64.  But would like to reduce that to a
> minimum as it's quite time-consuming.
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

First, with respect to your previous posting: I am sure all TUs will
share my sentiment that you have done great work as a TU. So we all say
thanks!

As a relatively new TU who runs Arch32, I must confess I have until now
relied on other TUs to bring my pkgs to community64. Now I decided it
was time to ask Aaron for access to his x86_64 build machine, which I
just did. Since I maintain numerous architecture-independant packages I
have also decided to modify the makepkg and communitypkg scripts (which
I saved as makepkg64 and communitypkg64) in order to generate and commit
architecture-indenpendant pkgs for x86_64 on my i686 machine (this was
quite a trivial thing to do). I have just tested it with
ttf-linux-libertine and ttf-inconsolata in [community] and it seems my
uploads and commits were successful (I'd be glad if someone could
confirm this!). So at least for such cases I won't need to access
Aaron's machine. My scripts are available under
http://ankabut.net/archlinux/scripts-for-arch-indep-community64.zip --
MAKE SURE though to ONLY use them on arch-independant packages!!! ;)

But I am really hoping to have a more flexible mechanism to handle
non-binary packages with makepkg and pacman. There have been discussions
about this in the past, namely to have the possibility to have arch=all
in the PKGBUILDs, so that the generated packages can be commited for
both i686 and x86_64 at the same time. Roman told me he add submitted a
patch for pacman to precisely deal with this. I am looking forward to it.

Best,