[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Versioned Provisions

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:50:32 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 3:49 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > This is a little "heads up" email to all the package maintainers out there.
> >
> > Pacman 3.1 has support for versioned provisions. But what this also
> > means is that there's going to be some breakages in packages.

In addition to all else that was said, I will offer the following.

In 3.1.0, you may have heard or read that the provisions format was like this:
provides=('cairo 1.1')

3.1.1 will change it to this:
provides=('cairo=1.1')

The reason for the switch came down to two things- an error in
repo-add dealing with the space, and the issue that packagers would
forget the quotes on their provision (even Aaron did it above!). If we
use the = instead of a ' ' (space), we can avoid these two issues.

What this does *NOT* mean is that versioned provisions will ever be
supported. This is the reason we did not go with the = sign
originally- it might lead packagers to believe they were supported.
Versioned provisions really don't make sense- if someone can provide a
use case, I can probably debunk it.

-Dan