[aur-general] Cross-compiler that installs in non-standard directories

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:50:13 EST 2008

bardo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've never seen an official cross-compiler package in arch, so I'm not
> sure if I'm breaking some rule here.
> I'm going to release to [community] in a short time a set of packages
> (binutils-avr, gcc-avr and avr-libc) which previously installed in
> /opt/avr. According to the guidelines I moved everything to /usr, but
> a couple non-standard directories are created. One is
> /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu, which should be fine, the other is /usr/avr,
> which contains its own lib and include directories.
> Obviously namcap complains, but this directory structure solves some
> conflicts: for example /usr/avr/include/ctype.h would overwrite
> /usr/include/ctype.h...
>
> Should I go for it?
>
> C.

The mingw cross compiler (in community) seems to install everything into
/usr/i486-mingw32 but I haven't check thoroughly.

Why is there a /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu directory and not just a /usr/avr
given everything used to install to /opt/avr?  One rouge directory would
be better than two and getting rid of i686-pc-linux-gnu directory would
be a bonus because that name has nothing to do with avr.

Allan