[aur-general] Cross-compiler that installs in non-standard directories

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:11:36 EST 2008

2008/1/25, w9ya at qrparci.net <w9ya at qrparci.net>:
> Is it possible to configure this so it installs stuff to /usr/share/avr
> instead ? <- That would seem to be a standard location for the /usr
> heirarchy.

Yesterday I've been trying for a while, but the configuration starts
to become complex. My understanding is that when you build a
cross-compiler it gets installed by default in $PREFIX/$HOST, hence
the 'i686-pc-linux-gnu' directory which, as subdirectories, contains
all the supported architectures. If this is right, then I should just
fix avr-libc, which installs in /usr/avr instead or
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu (or whatever dir we decide it to be).

I could move i686-pc-linux-gnu to /usr/share using --datadir, but I
don't think it's right. The FHS states that /usr/share should contain
architecture *independent* data, and that most likely isn't.
Furthermore, everytime I fiddle with --whateverdir options in
configure I introduce some kind of conflict with the existing files.
I'm starting to think that all this directory mess was done for a
reason =)

C.