[aur-general] Popular new Chinese fonts looking for TU adoption

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:40:27 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 7:14 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:

> The above are a fine example of what i was talking about in my previous
> emails on this list, stating that TU's  should provide as binaries
> packages that the community wants and not only the packages they want to
> maintain.
> Here we have a TU who has uploaded 29 packages in community, without
> getting them to unsupported first. One of his packages has 2 votes,
> half of the remaining ones have 1 and the rest 0.
> Yet he finds it very easy to reply when someone requests for some much
> more popular packages than the ones he is maintaining to get into
> community, that a TU should be interested in them to adopt them and he
> should know chinese to maintain them.
> As if Eric Belanger aka Snowman knows arabic, greek  and simplified chinese
> in order to maintain his xpdf packages.
> I dont  remember nor really care what the TU guidelines say about
> this, but behaviours like this by "Trusted Users" IMO are not
> acceptable. I clearly remember "Remember to vote for your favourite
> packages! The most popular packages will be provided as binary packages
> in [community]." though.
> If the Guidelines dont state the above, IMO it should be added. The AUR
> as well as the Arch community have got much bigger than when those
> guidelines were written.
>
> Greg

I'm sorry but as much I understand the point you make, I'm with Bob on
this one. I don't see any point in maintaining a package if I can't
understand the language. There is no way for us to test the package,
we can't even make up from the site if a new package is released, or
the project is abandoned. Well, you get my point.

Second, if you want to change the guidelines, become a TU. I really
don't think you should have such an attitude without volunteering to
become a TU yourself and do things better than we all are currently
doing.