[aur-general] About emacs org-mode

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 08:05:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Jiyunatori <tori at 0xc29.net> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I've just stepped into the arch and I'd like to participate.

welcome!

> The org package is highly out of date, so I updated it. I'd like to share
> this small contribution with everyone, but the package is already maintained
> by rwanderley.
>
> I contacted the maintainer and sent him my updated version ten days ago, but
> had no answer to this day.
>
> Would it be possible to take the charge of maintaining this package ?

yes it is orphaned now, you can take it. Though it is better to rename
it to emacs-org-mode to come in line with the rest of the emacs
packages (renaming in this case is uploading your new package with the
replaces and provides field pointing to the old package name, and
deleting the old package).

> PS : what is the policy about renaming a package in the AUR ? is there a
> naming policy for emacs modes ?

see above how to do so. Naming packages should be as upstream as far
as possible, though in some cases (like this, kde decorations, and
such things) see how the naming is in the official repos and use that
one (or if none see what most packages use in AUR).

Ronald