[aur-general] TU application

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 4 09:23:23 EDT 2008

Pierre Chapuis wrote:
> Le Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:00:30 +0200,
> "Ronald van Haren" <pressh at gmail.com> a écrit :
>

>> I had a quick look too, overall the quality seemed to be fairly good
>> from the few packages I checked. I thrust you guys on the rest ;)
>>
>> Anyway, what I was wondering (I don't feel like reading the guidelines
>> now), is the use of install instead of cp (some people even use mv)
>> documented somewhere as it seems to be a quite familiar 'mistake'
>> people make?

I don't think there is a guideline anywhere.  I was told it was a good
idea when I applied to be a TU.  Can't remember who it was.

> I'd be interrested by that too. As of now, I see no real reason to use install instead of mkdir -p, cp, chmod, except maybe that it's one line instead of three.

Sure you can do it in three lines, but one is much, much clearer.  With
that one line you know where the file is going and what permissions it
will have. Also, many people forget the chmod or find it unnecessary
which can lead to problems.

Allan