[aur-general] Trusted User Application

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:08:43 EDT 2008

On 02/06/2008, at 3:43 PM, Loui wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:19:40 +0200
> "Ronald van Haren" <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although as you stated contributing packages is not your primary
>> goal,
>> I suggest you still take another look at your PKGBUILDs and correct
>> the small mistakes that are still in there. If you need help finding
>> them please let me know and I'm happy to point them out.
>
> I'll have a look at those three I still maintain, but I'd be glad to
> receive pointers as well.
>
>>> Some of my big goals are:
>>> - Develop a new system for sharing PKGBUILDs.
>>> - Give TUs more direct access and control of that system.
>>> - Get every single darn bug closed.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on these three points (like what kind of system do
>> you have in mind, by bugs you mean AUR bugs or any kind of bugs, etc)
>> ?
>
> - Develop a new system for sharing PKGBUILDs.
> If you look through the AUR source code it'll become obvious
> that the design hadn't quite been thought through and the
> implementation is pretty dodgy. I'm interested in designing a
> completely new system based on a client-server model. It's a big goal
> for me that won't be immediatly realised, but I'm just putting the
> idea out there. I'm kind of working out the client side via aurbuild.
> aurbuild won't be the client, but I might be able to work out some
> ideas with it and reuse parts of it.

Are you planning on creating a new web interface and using aurbuild to
ease the building of AUR packages, or do you mean something new
completely? I'm just wondering if AUR2 would be of any use to you. I
most likely going to start up a similar project to AUR, and I'm going
to either be using the Archlinux web site code base and extend that or
work on making AUR2 more flexible (currently the community/aur
repositories are kind of hard coded). I'd like to hear some of your
ideas :).

Anyway that's a bit off topic. You indeed have few packages, but
fortunately that's not all TUs do, and I know that you have an
interest in improving AUR and related projects. I agree with Callan
and Allan.

> - try to avoid custom variables (_pkgdata). It is not needed and it
> only appears once.

Is that really such a bad thing? I just want to make it clear, since
I've been a bit confused about it for a while now. As far as I can
tell the only reason not to use custom variables is that the current
AUR code base doesn't support them (or maybe it does now?), so URLs
and such have unparsed variables in them. Apart from that I don't see
any problems with them, as long as it is made sure that they won't
conflict with existing package, and using an underscore will do that.