[aur-general] Orphaning my packages

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:16:03 EDT 2008

I generally don't aggree with the "upstream" philosophy as well - or at
least not to 100 %.

Bugs can (of course) be upstream bugs. As in other distributions, bugs
SHOULD get fixed in arch. I'm not saying that the devs must fix bugs in the
upstream distributions, but at least the bugs should be followed upstream,
and if a patch is available fixing the problem - it should get fixed
(patched) in arch as well.

Most of the problems in arch, like kernel performance regression problems
with glx (bug #10328 in bugzilla.kernel.org, submitted in march - fixed in
the 2.6.25.8 release which is 1 day old - 4 month at all) , gnome bugs, kio
bugs in kde3, as well as many others have upstream fixes available. Due to
the arch philosophy, they will never appear until they are available
upstream. This saves a lot of time to the devs, of course. Thogh, waiting
half a year for fixes can be annoying (or is annoying if they directly
effect you).

The "don't use gnome" solution is NOT a solution at all. You get used to a
desktop, used to a way of working and it's tools.You don't want to change
desktop and play around if you want to get work done.

Since a long time, i recompile arch sources (in the same version as the one
in the repos, including the revision number) with the according patches i
personally need. That's not what it should be, and I had intentions to
change to another system a quite long time ago - if i wouldn't need to
change to BSD then, since Arch is the only linux I personally know with a
BSD like RC style and /etc layout - which i like... and a quite good package
management (i don't like rpm, and slacks tools - and don't know a similar
.deb system), not saying I'd like to change to BSD (most likely causes
troubles, at least as a C/C++ dev, I'm basically not a friend porting
software i need or want to try. The better "community support" at least is
available for linux.

Kind regards,
Georg