[aur-general] TUs: anyone want to take dmd into community?

Anders Bergh anders1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 02:08:15 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Geoffroy Carrier
<geoffroy.carrier at koon.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Anders Bergh <anders1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
> Hi,
>
>> I spoke to Walter and he told me that it would be okay to let Arch
>> Linux distribute dmd in the repositories. I'm not a TU, but feel free
>> to take over the dmd and libphobos packages (and perhaps even
>> libtango).
> I launched the initiative for dmd.
> Robin Kreis sent an E-mail to Walter, and forwarded his answer to me.
> My policy would be to include this E-mail in /usr/share/license/dmd/,
> like for Skype.
> I don't know much about this whole D question, I use use apps written in D.
> I would need another authorization to package libphotos and/or
> libtango (then, including dmd to use the same E-mail for all
> packages...).

I didn't know anyone had emailed him already.

>> (for those who don't know what dmd is: it's the main compiler for the
>> D programming language)
> And it's x86-only, binary form (i.e. no x86_64).
> gdc, GCC's port for D, is far from usable in its last stable version,
> from what I've heard on #d.

Yes, gdc is quite buggy, and it's not really maintained so much anymore.

> I think it should be discussed here, as it's not available for x86_64,
> only Archlinux and a few others can redistribute it, etc.
> I personnaly would like to include it, as you can guess.

There's already 32-bit closed source software in community, like skype
and others, so I don't really see a problem with this. And gdc could
be provided as well (but again, it's not perfect).

> Thank you for your work,
>
> --
> Geoffroy Carrier

PS. I tried a couple of times to do a gdc package, but... I found it
very annoying. Every time something went wrong I had to rebuild
everything again. gcc doesn't like being installed separately, ideally
gdc would be in the gcc package, but it's not compatible with 4.3.
I'll post what I had later and perhaps someone who knows more about
the gcc build / install process could help me out.

Anders