[aur-general] perl 5.10.0 coming soon

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Mon Mar 17 18:27:00 EDT 2008

Hello all,

this message is primarily adressed at the few TUs who maintain perl
packages in community (namely Sergej, Allan and bardo), but should also
be read by everyone else contributing perl packages to AUR as well.

perl 5.10.0 – currently in testing – will soon be moved to core. Since
this release implements a new "Perl Policy", there are some important
changes in packaging that should be noted. Also, all packages that
provide compiled libraries or that embed their own perl engine must be
recompiled. Even better is to update ALL perl packages according to the
new path scheme.

See http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/PKGBUILD-perl.proto for
the new and simpler way to package perl stuff.

Since I had to do the job for my packages anyway, it was equally easy
for me to update all PKGBUILDs at once. So Sergej, Allan and bardo can
grab their new PKGBUILDs from

http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/sergej.zip
http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/allan.zip
http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/bardo.zip

Note that these contain only the packages in lib. There are a few more
that I have not touched:

devel/svk
devel/perl6-pugs
games/hearse
multimedia/freewrl
multimedia/xmltv
network/pppusage

These are left as an exercise to their respective maintainers ;)

Be sure to backup your old PKGBUILDs and to check carefully those I made
(especially the depends array). Kevin – the perl maintainer – is going
to notify us when he moves perl from testing to core. Then we should get
busy building the packages and uploading them to the repo :)

Have fun,
Firmicus