[aur-general] AUR Cleanup Day organization

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 09:53:51 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I think there is enough support for this to go forward.  So it is time
we nut out the details.   Here is how I suggest we go about it.
Firstly, I make a post to the announcements section of the forums along
the lines of:

<draft>
The AUR has a large number of obsolete packages which could use cleaning
up.  Examples of packages that may be cleaned up are:
   - packages that have been renamed or replaced
   - old and unmaintained developmental (cvs/svn/etc) packages
   - outdated and orphaned packages with few or no votes

This is where you can help.  Post suggestions of packages in the AUR
Cleanup wiki page (url here) or as a reply to this thread.  TUs will get
together and go though the list in a couple of weeks and confirm which
packages should be removed.  Please do not remove suggestions from the
wiki page but add a comment on why it should be kept instead.
</draft>

I suggest we get together in the TU IRC channel on the weekend of 17/18
May and go through the list.  I think we should take care not to get too
carried away when we remove packages.  While some packages may be
orphans, if they are not out of date then the PKGBUILD could still be
useful for some people.

Any comments before I create the wiki page and post to the forums?

Cheers,
Allan

PS. Someone will have to give me the TU IRC channel key because I never
got around to getting it given I rarely use IRC.