[aur-general] AUR RPC search results custom fields

Loui louipc.ist at gmail.com
Wed May 7 03:28:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:35:34 +0200
"Francesc Ortiz" <francescortiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> Adding the possibility of specifying the fields you want to show in
> the search results would reduce rpc query time and would also reduce
> server load. Getting custom fields would be 1 connection vs N+1
> (N=number results, 1 the search) connections that you have to do now
> for a pacman-like search. And in what time regards, as an example, for
> 30 results now I need (30+1)*550ms = around 17 seconds.
>
> I also see that this would be more intense work for the database, so
> it would be reasonable to add a result limit to the search, if you use
> custom fields, in order to reduce subqueries.

I totally agree with you. The RPC interface should really be at least
as powerful as the web search, but no one has really had the motivation
to write a patch for that yet heh. If you're interested, you can check
out the AUR source code at http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=aur.git
write a patch and submit it to aur-dev at archlinux.org.

Cheers.