[aur-general] Fwd: Stolen material

Enrico Scichilone pirat at telsh.net
Sat Nov 1 06:48:35 EDT 2008

Imanol Celaya schrieb:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Aaron Hussein Griffin
> <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com <mailto:aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey guys,
>
>     I just got the email below and want to take this opportunity to point
>     a few things out:
>
>     Licenses are important. If a project has no license that DOES NOT mean
>     you are able to redistribute it by adding a file that says "Free to
>     use". Just because it is in the AUR doesn't mean we are in the clear.
>
>     That said, I believe this email is a little silly for three reasons:
>     a) Nothing there is stolen. It is a PKGBUILD. If it is illegal to
>     redistribute the source, then the end user is liable (something we
>     DON'T want).
>     b) The original tarball no longer exists.
>     c) I have seen no proof of copyright.
>
>     Still, I do want to take this opportunity to point out that we NEED to
>     be more careful here.
>

> although the COPYING file it's wrong, isn't this the same "trick" we use
> with acroread?

Heya @all,
am I the only one who sees the "Licensed under GPL TERMS." with a link
to the GPL V3 at the sf.net-site and what about the possibility to d/l
the source code at "http://stardict.sourceforge.net/other.php"? Doesnt
that mean that Arch may distribute it as well?

Personally I think its just a hoax/spam.

Just my $2..

Have a good time and keep up the good work,
enni | telsh

--
"Es ist sinnlos zu sagen: Wir tun unser Bestes.
Es muß dir gelingen, das zu tun, was erforderlich ist."