[aur-general] Packages in Community and votes.

w9ya w9ya at qrparci.net
Mon Nov 10 11:31:17 EST 2008

Sigh....

I do NOT normally comment here and certainly NOT with the tone I am about to
use. But you guys (plural) are attempting to dictate binding discussions
without first doing your own due diligence. Or you are asking me and others
to do your due diligence for you? This is, of course, very troubling to me.
It should be to other TUs too.

It is NOT a given that the voting statistics are accurate or even
"..somewhat accurate". MANY reasons have been given in the past why such
accuracy is not possible under the current voting scheme, so I again ask you
to do your due diligence, i.e. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do a search on
previous discussions about this that have taken place (repeatedly) over (at
least) the last couple of years.

This insistence to NOT do this searching on previous discussions before
issuing your **opinions**, and declaring them as having some form of
accuracy (facts) is troubling !!

I know for a *FACT* that many of my packages are used, some VERY heavily and
by MANY users and yet have NO votes. I will give you here but two of the
several reasons;

1 - I maintain an offshoot version of archlinux, derived from faunos, called
"shackstick". It is used and is becoming quite popular amongst the ham radio
community. It is packaged as a whole and the user does NOT download packages
or even is part of the arch linux community, so NO votes are taken. Yet it
uses over 25 of my packages that would seem to otherwise be without votes.

2 - Since the votes are NOT reflective of downloads, and for the above
reason downloads are NOT reflective of the numbers of users, and FURTHER
many users do NOT vote, there can be NO correlation between votes and usage.
It isn't even a rough estimate.

Best regards;

Bob Finch

P.S... If the problem is that the server's output needs to be improved, then
that should be the focus of the discussion from the very beginning LONG
BEFORE we discuss ANY specific options (voting restrictions). If that was
why this topic came up again, thank you for at least announcing it now
instead of after we spent more time on this voting=server space. (And server
space needs not, and should not be affecting it becoming "bogged down" as
that usually is a throughput issue.