[aur-general] kernel updates render package obsolete

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 17 13:21:00 EST 2008

Mads Michelsen schrieb:
> So I guess my questions are:
> 1) Is there some way around the module becoming outdated with each and
> every kernel update? and if not

You only have to rebuild with major updates (which happen every 3 months).

> 2) For myself, I can just keep the source code on my drive and rebuild
> it  whenever this happens -  but is there some way of altering the
> PKGBUILD to do the same?
> 3) Any other way around the issue apart from
> quickly updating the package whenever there's a kernel upgrade?

All you can do is prevent anyone from accidently updating:

depends=('kernel26>=2.6.27' 'kernel26<2.6.28')

Once a major update occurs, pacman will refuse to update the kernel26
package unless you -Ud a newer one (with correct depends) first.