[aur-general] TU Meeting

w9ya w9ya at qrparci.net
Sat Nov 29 13:39:44 EST 2008

A few points of rebuttal. Mostly too many unanswered questions.

I will outline these below, but for those of you that are becoming tired of
all this back and forth I can say this much:

1 - There are way too many unanswered questions about the methodology that
basis for why we are being asked to consider voting on this.

2 - At NO POINT have these questions, although asked, been answered
directly. Taken as a whole when answers are given they are mostly indirect
at best. I am begining to believe that this is because those making these
proposals do NOT have any these answers.

3 - Instead we are spending time go back and forth over the same material.
This is stupid IMHO.

4 - There is absolutely no reason for this back and forth on simple
questions like "show us your math. Please explain your assumptions. (Both
basic methodology questions.) Why are we being asked to do this now ? Can
you be more specific ?

5 - Since it has been declared that these are the first of many changes to
improve our resource utilization, what else is being planned or considered ?

6 - Numbers are being thrown around which have NO basis unless compared
against one another. But with possibly over 36,000 users of archlinux, maybe
MANY more; How can a programs like "google-earth" only be getting 400 votes
? How can this possibly be based on the the number of users ? There are
other such examples. NO ONE has explains what numbers like "3" and "20"
votes can represent ? If numbers like "3 votes" can mean either 3 users or
350 users; How can we be throwing around any **real** meaning from ANY
number such as "20 votes"  ?

7 - I have not updated "google-earth" since WAY BEFORE the pkgstats were
made available. How is it not premature to be using statistics generated by
it on such programs ? i.e. Can those asking us to use these numbers properly
"vet" them ? Can they explain how one month or even 4 moths is sufficient
time to understand the output of programs like "pkgstats" ?

8 - If we have so many unanswered yet basic questions; Why is it so
important to use them to "make changes" ?

9 - Voting can be faked. How is this being dealt with ?

10 - If we DO make these changes, we will be changing the system from one of
TU discretion and creativity to where the AUR users decide the work load and
output of a TU. The devs and the aur voters will be deciding what the TUs
do. The devs will be able to make decisions, as they do now, as to what is
included in their work without restrictions, and the AUR submitters will be
deciding on their own what to submit. BUT the TUs will be UNIQUELY
restricted however. How do the people proposing this plan to enlarge the TU
pool when this position will have the least amount of creativity and
discretion of those available ?

11 - Will we have less rather than more people wanting to become TUs because
this will become the least creative endeavor for someone wanting to
contribute ?

12 - If the TU pool becomes BOTH smaller and LESS creative, will this pool
of potential devs represent less well trained candidates ?

I could go on and on, because in the proceeding weeks, those answering these
basic questions have not taken sufficient priority with them. Instead I am
asked questions that seem specious to me in reply. This really is
counterproductive.

*** So here is the most basic question;

Why should we be seriously considering ANY recommendation, when those who
have been asked these and other questions have spent so little time and
effort SIMPLY answering them ? The charts seem poorly thought out, and no
where have the authors of such stuff given us the specifics of how they were
made. SORRY, but this is just a waste of time if there is not full
disclosure.

And finally; I am asked below what were the reasons such previous proposals
were either dismissed or voted down by the TUs. Here are some reasons. They
are NOT all the reasons, and in fact many would consider these not as
important as other reasons. Nonetheless here are some;

1 - No one wanted systems where the TUs had less discretion than a DEV or a
AUR contributor. It was too much like being a "slave" to your work, and
"work assigned by someone else". It was (IMHO CORRECTLY) felt that this was
too much of an burden to load unto the TUs as a whole. Not all, but MANY TUs
did not want this change from the fundamental system we had.

2 - We did NOT want to remove any creative decision making from the TUs.
Some were packaging stuff that was truly unique and useful to
sub-communities that do NOT vote but DO download these packages. We felt it
ws short sided and unwise to elliminate this creativity.

3 - We could NOT predict what these changes would do to our current system,
and the TUs were happy with the way things were.

4 - We were, frankly, scared that this very unique TU system (which is one
of the three basic reasons Archlinux is unique in the world of linux
distribtuions,) would morph into just another distribution, with nothing
much unique to prove or account for it's existance.

5 - TUs then and now are the ones that WANT to contribute. We were scared
that many TUs would, over a short time period, choose to leave after voting
in such changes, AND the ones that remained would have a larger burden and
be less motivated to stay with the program.

6 - TUs felt it was inappropriate to decide anything other than on the
ability and safety of another TUs output. It was felt that things would
become too much like a "popularity contest" and too little like a group of
kind, polite, and most importantly diverse group working together instead of
at odds. It was felt that being inclusive was exceptionally important. We
wanted no contention.

Bob F.