[aur-general] Where to put your name when you adopt an AUR package (was: TU Application)

Henning Garus henning.garus at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 9 06:13:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com> wrote:
> stefan-husmann at t-online.de wrote:
>>>
>>> What should I add myself as, when adopting a package, if not using the
>>>    Maintainer tag? "Contributor" maybe?
>>>

>> Yes!
>
> Actually, I just read a wiki entry[1] on this which clears things up.
>
> # Maintainer: the maintainer responsible for this pkg in the official
> repositories
> # Contributor: the person who wrote the first PKGBUILD for this package
>
> So I shouldn't add myself at all to packages I adopt. :o
> /me goes to update his adopted packages.
>
> ----------------
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS_PKGBUILD_Explained

It does make sense, at least to me, to have your name and email
address in a PKGBUILD you currently maintain in AUR, even if you
didn't create it. However, I don't think there is any policy about
this. I have seen some "custom" tags, which I can't remember exactly
and of course much misuse of the maintainer tag - I am guilty of that
one myself.

What one could do to prevent further misuse of the Maintainer tag
would be introducing a new tag like AUR-Maintainer and put it in the
wiki. Notice that this is just an example, I wouldn't be against
calling this different. It wouldn't stop the "Maintainer Tag problem"
all at once, but it might help reducing it.