[aur-general] TU Application

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 12:28:34 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ts=2 sw=2
>
> Some text editors have formatting configuration that unify editing from
> within files, and this is how they work. For Vim, ts is tab space and sw is
> shift width ( http://www.answers.com/topic/tab-stop ). Even Kate has
> something similar. As such, everyone that opens the file with Vim for
> reading/writing will have the same tab space and shift width. If you feel
> "forced", think of it as a bonus rather than an annoyance since a tab space
> of 2 is keeping it simple and unified.
>
> I'm more interested as to why there's a contradiction between the above TU's
> suggestion and the sample buildscripts (I'm sure they were updated fairly
> recently). Is it a more recent cosmetic shift, then?

This line is controversial for the following simple reasons :
1) it is good because it ensures style consistency among vim users
2) it is bad because it is specific to one single editor and seems
unfair to all other editors (why only a vim modeline and not also a
emacs/kate/etc one?)

In my opinion, there should not be any strict rules, it should be up
to the actual maintainer.
Though, if the majority of packagers prefers to not put any modelines
and recommend doing that, we should consider removing it from the
prototypes.