[aur-general] xhemi discussion (was: TU request)

Edward Tjörnhammar xhemi at cube2.se
Tue Oct 14 09:10:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Ronald van Haren wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>> List of packages:
>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&L=0&C=0&K=xhemi&SeB=m&SB=n&SO=a
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to sponsor Edward Tjörnhammar(xhemi). His packages have small
>>> issues such as backup lines or missing ' || return 1', but they are
>>> good.
>>>
>>> So I ask to start discussion.

> Sorry to say, but I found quite a few things from a very quick look:
>
> - errors in licenses. This is an array and you need to install custom
> licenses in /usr/share/licenses/$pkgname
> - you need to include patches and such in the source array
> - Do not introduce new variables into your PKGBUILD build scripts,
> unless the package cannot be built without doing so. Further some of
> them are already defined by a variable so why creating a new one? I
> really have trouble reading it.
> - what is up with the use of pushd and popd? There is clearly no use
> in using those.
>
> What else can I say...I still think 8 packages is not enough as I
> already indicated in a previous thread.
>
> Ronald

Hello again!

The unincluded licenses, sources and backup files in their respective
arrays are something which I should have given more than a second thought
and I agree that they need to be fixed. There is, however, likely other
things which I might have missed.
   About the criticism surrounding variable use and pushd/popd I can only
regard as irrelevant, but please prove me wrong. The variables are used in
a completely consistent manner and pushd/popd are shell builtins just like
cd, i.e. does not rely on extra deps. This is just a matter of preference,
instead of 'cd' and 'cd -', just like wether to use srcdir or _S. If this
is important then there is, imho, only one place where this should be
rigorously checked for and that would be in a pre-commit hook for the SCM
tree for supported TU packages.
   It would not be my intention to move any more of my packages to
community, since they have very low voting scores. As you obviously
understand by now I was assuming that there were alot of orphaned
packages.

Regards
--
Edward Tjörnhammar