[aur-general] Fwd: Stolen material

Aaron "Hussein" Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:33:08 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

I just got the email below and want to take this opportunity to point
a few things out:

Licenses are important. If a project has no license that DOES NOT mean
you are able to redistribute it by adding a file that says "Free to
use". Just because it is in the AUR doesn't mean we are in the clear.

That said, I believe this email is a little silly for three reasons:
a) Nothing there is stolen. It is a PKGBUILD. If it is illegal to
redistribute the source, then the end user is liable (something we
DON'T want).
b) The original tarball no longer exists.
c) I have seen no proof of copyright.

Still, I do want to take this opportunity to point out that we NEED to
be more careful here.